Wednesday, 17 September 2014

Price discrimination in the car industry

Here's a fantastic demonstration of price discrimination in the light vehicles industry from  Ana Aizcorbe, Benjamin Bridgman, and Jeremy Nalewai

Prices for light vehicles tend
to fall over their model year, and retrace those declines
when next year’s models are introduced.
Using a new dataset, we document that the
characteristics of car buyers vary significan
tly over the model year as well: as average
prices of vehicles fall over the model year,
so does the average income of the buyers.
Under the assumption that income is negativ
ely correlated with price sensitivity, our
results show that price-insensitive consumer
s buy early in the model year, with more
price-sensitive consumers waiting until prices fall.
This empirical result suggests car de
alers engage in price skimming (i.e.
intertemporal price discrimination), introduci
ng new models at a high price, selling to
those willing to pay top dollar, and then loweri
ng the price to sell to the remaining market
segments.

What do they do?

1.  they have detailed prices for light cars (for example a Honda Accord) in the U.S. from late 1999 to 2003. The price data gives average transaction prices, net of cash rebates and
financing incentives across all buyers in a month (consumers, firms and government).
 
2. this is then matched with data on on the characteristics of car buyers from surveys compiled by market data vendor NOPworld, including income surveys per buyer.
 
3. here's the key diagram.  Prices fall for each model over the year until a new model is introduced. What happens to the buyer type? High income people buy first, price discrimination by income.  Note they check that the early models are not the best appointed etc. so it really is the same car.
 
 
 

10 comments:

  1. Great Information sharing .. I am very happy to read this article .. thanks for giving us go through info.Fantastic nice. I appreciate this post.
    Mcx free tips

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate everything you have added to my knowledge base.Admiring the time and effort you put into your blog and detailed information you offer.Thanks.
    Mcx free tips

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am grateful to you on the grounds that your article is exceptionally useful for me to continue with my exploration in same region. Your cited illustrations are all that much significant to my exploration field.This is extraordinary! It really exhibits to me where to broaden my online diaryvehicle inspection Sydney

    ReplyDelete
  4. I came to this blog and it helped me to add few new points to my knowledge. Actually, I am trying to learn new thing wherever I find. Impressive written blog and valuable information shared here.แผ่นปูพื้นรถยนต์

    ReplyDelete
  5. This blog helped me to understand the fact that even a simply written article can be best over thousands of other highly qualified no-meaning articles. So always keep in mind that use simple but accurate parameters for your blog.ที่ บัง แดด รถยนต์

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing abilities has inspired me to start my own BlogEngine blog now. Really the blogging is spreading its wings rapidly. Your write up is a fine example of it.กรอบป้ายทะเบียนรถยนต์

    ReplyDelete
  7. This blog resolved all my queries I had in my mind. Really helpful and supportive subject matter written in all the points. Hard to find such kind of blogs as descriptive and accountable to your doubts.ราคา ร่ม กันแดด รถยนต์

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is worthwhile reading this blog. I was searching such kind of blog for a long time but now I think I got a blog of my interest. I am thankful for these all suggestions mentioned under this blog.รถลากจูง

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really appreciate the efforts made here behind writing such a wonderful blog. I can recognize this blog very well for all the efforts made by writers to deliver well and standard information.ราคาร่มกันแดดรถยนต์

    ReplyDelete